The long-term goal of human rights education is to create a cultural environment where human rights are properly understood, defended and respected.
In general, human rights educators seeks to develop a society in which human rights are valued and respected.
However, human rights education is more than the culture where everyone knows their rights. The good knowledge of human rights by itself does not necessarily mean respect. There will always be human rights violation cases. Human rights culture is a complex structure of different attitudes, beliefs, behaviors, norms and rules.
Kultūros centras “In Actio” has more than 10 years’ experience in human rights education and seeks of the following objectives:
- Strengthen the respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
- Promote people’s self-esteem and respect for others as well as the value of human dignity
- Promote attitudes and behavior, leading to respect human rights of others
- Ensure gender equality and equal opportunities
- Promote the respect for cultural diversity, especially for national, ethnic, religious, linguistic differences, minorities and communities
- Promote and strengthen civic engagement, making a difference in the civic life of our communities and developing the combination of knowledge, skills, values and motivation to make that difference.
- Promote democracy, society development, social justice and solidarity
- Foster cooperation of international institutions in the field of human rights
Kultūros centras “In Actio” claims that human rights education objectives fall into three main areas:
- To encourage young people to deepen their knowledge and understanding of human rights issues, to be able identify human rights violations;
- To develop the necessary skills and abilities to protect human rights;
- To develop the respect for human rights to avoid human rights violation.
Kultūros centras “In Actio” human rights education projects:
- Training courses “Effect” for effective work with young people at the international level
- The translation and adaptation in the Lithuanian language the guide for human rights education “Compass”
- “Stick up a message” – campaign for promoting human rights and creativity
- “For Tolerance” – campaign for enhancing tolerance in Lithuania
In order to reach these goals Kultūros centras In Actio implemented different projects, which you can find in our Portfolio.